Revelation process…..from God’s mind to pen….in between was the Holy Spirit and an inspired Apostle or Prophet…. Considering the following three passages….
1. 1 Pt 1: “10 As to this salvation, the prophets who prophesied of the grace that would come to you made careful searches and inquiries, 11 seeking to know what person or time the Spirit of Christ within them was indicating as He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow. 12 It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves, but you, in these things which now have been announced to you through those who preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven—things into which angels long to look.“
- Vs. 12 says the prophets preached the Gospel BY the Holy Spirit, showing the involvement of God’s Holy Spirit in revelation.
2. 2 Pt. 1: “19 So we have the prophetic word made more sure, to which you do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star arises in your hearts. 20 But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, 21 for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.”
- Vs 19 says the “prophetic word” is a reliable;
- Vs 20 says that prophets didn’t speak on their own initiative or trust in their own minds;
- Vs21 says that prophets spoke/wrote only what the Holy Spirit moved them to write.
3. 1 Cor. 2: “10 For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. 11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, 13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.”
- Here in Vs 10 it shows the involvement of the first person of the Godhead, the Father, that He is the Revealer of truth THROUGH the Holy Spirit;
- Vs 11 is a passage that calls us to reason that just as our own spirit knows our mind, so the Holy Spirit knows the mind of the Heavenly Father;
- Vs 12 Paul says the Spirit he and the inspired Apostles and prophets received was the same Holy Spirit that knows the Fathers mind so that the Apostle might know freely the things from the Father’s mind;
- Vs 13 the words penned and spoken by the Apostles and prophets are not taught by human wisdom but they are taught by the Holy Spirit who perfectly connects the thoughts in the Father’s mind with the appropriate words to be written with pen and paper.
Here’s the path of transmission of Holy Scripture: Father –> Holy Spirit –> Apostle/prophet –> written word. This means that the written word in our Bibles are inspired by the Holy Spirit and come directly from the mind of God. This process of transmitting revelation has ceased as the Holy Scriptures are now complete. But the Scripture we have are reliable and to be believed and followed.