We are to be “workmen of the Word”, as Paul said to Timothy, and handle accurately what is written. On a recent Wednesday night our class discussion was from Matthew 11:24,25 where Jesus praises the Father in heaven for HIDING the truth from “the wise and intelligent”. This brought about some very good discussion on the manner of apprehending the truth. Jesus says that the Father has revealed it to children, i.e. those with a good and receptive heart who have a child-like faith. Hear Jesus:
“3 Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.4″Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” – Mt 18:3,4
God’s wisdom is to hide the truth from those who have an obstinate and proud spirit. It is man’s own fault if because of a proud and haughty spirit he doesn’t comprehend the wisdom of God.
Consider something else Jesus said on this same topic. In Matthew 12, Jesus is teaching by parables and says to the disciples, “To you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been granted“, Mt. 12:11. Why has it not been granted to the Pharisees to understand the message of the kingdom? Jesus taught in parables to cull out the close-minded. Though the truth seeker may not initially understand the meaning of the parable, because he has no agenda but to find the truth, it will be explained to him.
To summarize then. God DOES hide the truth from the wise and intelligent and “it has NOT been given to them to understand”. Why? Because of their own hardness of heart. The truth that God has for all men sounds like foolishness to them.
14 “In their case the prophecy of Isaiah is being fulfilled, which says, ‘YOU WILL KEEP ON HEARING, BUT WILL NOT UNDERSTAND ; YOU WILL KEEP ON SEEING, BUT WILL NOT PERCEIVE ; 15 FOR THE HEART OF THIS PEOPLE HAS BECOME DULL, WITH THEIR EARS THEY SCARCELY HEAR, AND THEY HAVE CLOSED THEIR EYES, OTHERWISE THEY WOULD SEE WITH THEIR EYES, HEAR WITH THEIR EARS, AND UNDERSTAND WITH THEIR HEART AND RETURN, AND I WOULD HEAL THEM.’ – Mt. 13:14-15
If God were to reveal the truth to “the wise and intelligent”, and if it were given to such people to understand the parables, God would need to spice it with worldly enticements and dress it with shiney trinkets since that is what stirs their passions. But because God doesn’t cater to foolishness, His message is tailored to be heard only by those who seek Him. Jesus said, “Seek and you shall find” and the narrow way “few will find”. God’s Sovereign will and justice are uncompromised and man’s free will remains because He speaks to those who “have ears to hear and eyes to see.”
Would you like to know the Truth that will give you eternal life?
- Put away your prejudices and biases. These are from man and should be dispensed with in favor of God’s Word.
- Pray and ask for the Truth. Jesus said, “For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.“, Mt. 7:8. Salvation comes to those who “call on the name of the Lord”. Those who pray for salvation will ask, “What shall we do?” Acts 2:38 is God’s anwer: “Repent and let each one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins…”
- Understand and acknowledge the greatness of Jesus and stand firm against those who lie because they only want to maintain their sinful lifestyle. The Pharisees spoke blasphemies against the Holy Spirit and Jesus said “But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment” Mt 12:36
- Become as a child, with child-like faith, embrace what is truly good and eschew evil.
- Unplug the ears and open the eyes realizing that it is we ourselves who may hinder the search for Truth.
- Be a workman of the Word, handling it accurately, 2 Tim. 2:15.